Sunday, 12 May 2013

ME awareness day

May 12 is the awareness day for chronic fatigue syndrome/ME (myalgic encephalomyelitis).

I was diagnosed with a form of chronic fatigue syndrome, post-viral fatigue syndrome after a bout of severe and reoccurring glandular fever caused by Epstein-Barr virus when I was 15.

I can account firsthand of how much of a debilitating, dreadful and one hundred percent real condition it is. On one occasion I had what can certainly be described as a near-death experience, in which mild heart failure and poorly oxygenated conditions resulted in me collapsing and needing to be resuscitated. It disturbs me to consider what the reality could be had circumstances had been slightly different.

What I was afflicted by in the years afterward was appalling psychical sickness, neropathic pain exhaustion, dysfunctional sleeping patterns, and vicious reciprocation with my mental health problems, which essentially tore apart my life's stability. I have only just truly begun to recover, and the symptoms still tend to randomly manifest.

The first accounted death from CFS was that of Sophia Mirza, who died in 2005 the age of 32  from renal failure after suffering from CFS for six years; she had no other underlying medical pathologies.

The prevalent denialism and outright discrimination surrounding CFS is essentially a cause of torturous gibing for its victims.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment